Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Everything Austen Challenge

Honestly, who can resist a Jane Austen Challenge? Not me apparently. So I'm joining another challenge from Stephanie's Written Word!

Here are the details:

The Everything Austen Challenge will run for six months (July 1, 2009 – January 1, 2010)! All you need to do is pick out what six Austen-themed things you want to finish to complete the challenge.
What is considered Austen-themed? Obviously, any of the books Jane Austen wrote herself count, so if you’ve been contemplating reading one of her novels, now is the time! Or, maybe watch the different movie versions of Pride and Prejudice. You could even try reading one of the many sequels written by various authors or listen to one in your car on your way to work. Truly, the list can be endless! All you need to do is pick six Austen-themed items to read and/or watch to participate. Note that you can mix it up a bit – maybe commit to watching three movies and reading two books – or if your TBR pile is huge, pick out six movies you would like to watch – YOU DECIDE!

ETA: I've decided to go with the all Pride and Prejudice list. I think that it will be fun to see the different versions or takes on the quintessential Austen book. I'm going to have to read the original version first since it has been a long time.

although I should do an all Pride and Prejudice list...which would look like this:

1. Pride and Prejudice (Austen)
2. Pride and Prejudice (BBC mini-series)
3. Pride and Prejudice (2005 movie)
4. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (Grahame-Smith)
5. Bride and Prejudice
6. Enthusiasm (Shulman) which is a YA book based on P&P

My first list if you are interested:

1. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (Grahame-Smith)
2. Mr. Darcy, Vamprye (Grange)
3. What Would Jane Austen do? (Brown)
4. Pride and Prejudice (2005 movie)
5. Clueless
6. Emma

or 2. Pride and Prejudice (Austen)

4 comments:

  1. I'm not joining this challenge because I'm already part of a monthly JA book club, and figure it'd almost be like cheating to just use the assigned books. And I'm not such a huge fan of Austen that I want to read an additional 6 on top of the book club selections, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you have six more possiblities on your list, make sure to check out the Everything Austen X 2 mini-challenge for additional prizes!! http://thewrittenword.wordpress.com/2009/07/03/everything-austen-x-two-our-first-mini-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Would Jane Austen Do is fun, but PPZ is absolutely fantastic. Have a great time with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I saw you’re adding Pride and Prejudice and Zombies to your Everything Austen Challenge. I hope you are enjoy it! I’m with Quirk Books, and I wanted to let you know that we’re announcing our next title in the Quirk Classic series very soon. Our Quirk Classics Facebook fans will receive a special update on July 15th at 12:00 a.m. EST! Or you can always check out QuirkClassics.com. I know your plate is full of Austen already, but since you appreciate the classics, we thought you might want to know...Thanks and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.