Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pride and Prejudice - 2005 (Based on a Book)

I watched this one yesterday from about 1 pm to 8 pm. Yes, it took me 7 hours to finish a movie that is 2 hours long, but there was a lot going on. Anyway, I don't know why I'm telling you this, but kids and cars, you know? Something always needs to be fixed.

I won't summarize because it is Pride and Prejudice. I love this version. It is beautiful shot and the director made some interesting choices as far as lighting and location. It is definitely an abbreviated version with some supporting characters left out (Mr. & Mrs. Hurst, the Philips, etc) but they aren't really necessary. The location for some scenes were changed too. Darcy proposes outside by a lake instead of in the parsonage. Wickham is meet outside and they talk about his relationship with Darcy outside under a tree instead of at a party playing cards. I didn't have a problem with any of that. The only thing I questioned was why Lizzie was always staring in a mirror? I get that it showed passage of time, but I felt there was a deeper meaning than that.

The cast is perfect. I love Kiera Knightley's Lizzie, so proud and smart and quick-witted. And I love the little laugh when she first sees Pemberley. I love Matthew Macfadyen's Mr. Darcy. He is so awkward and delicious. Sigh. Rosamund Pike as Jane is so great. She is so beautiful and ethereal and sweet, like Jane ought to be. And I wanted to slap Lydia around a little. Jena Malone is good at playing annoying characters.

So all in all, a beautiful movie with a great cast. It skips a lot for time, but still retains the essence of Pride and Prejudice.

9 comments:

  1. I like this one a lot, except for the end with the two sitting on the lake and he's calling her Mrs. Darcy. I wish they'd have ended it before then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I agree. It seemed tacked on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my favorite P&P version and I think I've seen it a hundred times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this too! Matthew Macfadyen is an amazing Darcy and the cinematography and the music are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first time I saw it I thought it was too abbreviated, but since it is always on tv when I'm flipping channels I've had the chance to see it a few more times and loved it. Lovedthe actors you've mentioned. They were wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. About the ending...it WAS tacked on, for American audiences only. Apparently we're more cheesy than the rest of the world.

    I really liked this version as well. I felt like it captured the essence of the book without going on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ending definitely was cheesy, but I like cheesy! This is one of my favorite movies ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I've seen this version about a million and one times, and it will never get old for me-- Mr. Darcy is always a nice little treat too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore this version of Pride and Prejudice. The music the mood the scenery, everything! I even love the music so much I bought the soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.