Thursday, August 13, 2009

Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris

After seeing a Dior at one of her client's houses, Mrs. Harris or 'Arris as she says, a London char(cleaning)woman decides that she must have something so wonderful for herself. So after scrimping and saving, she goes to Paris and the House of Dior to get an original for herself. The good heart of Mrs. 'Arris changes the people around her and she ends up with more than just a dress.

This was my Random Bestseller (1959 although it was written in 1958) from the Take a Chance Challenge. And I'm glad it was! This was such a delightful little book. I love how plucky and determined Mrs. 'Arris was and how she changed people's lives just by being herself. While I don't understand the drive to have a Dior dress, I can understand wanting something of beauty beyond yourself and your own little world. It seems that there are more books about Mrs. 'Arris and I think I'm going to read them. I think I can count this part of the challenge a success!

7 comments:

  1. When was this book written? I haven't heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1958.
    There was a movie with Angela Lansbury a few years back but I hadn't seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. !! When I saw that cover, the first thing I thought of was a cross between Madeleine and Angela Lansbury. Nice! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with Amanda, except instead of Angela Lansbury I thought Jessica Fletcher (the character Lansbury plays in Murder She Wrote). Random, I know. Glad you enjoy it, it sounds very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Lizzy, at least you were close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good book and an easy read. I'll have to wish list it. My year was 1976.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad this worked out for you ... and to find a series you like is such a plus! I know another blogger who raved about these books too! I might have to check them out some day! : )

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.