Thursday, August 20, 2009

Between Mom and Jo

Nicholas has two moms, his biological mother and his other mom, Jo. He is happy having two mothers although he has to put up with teasing and bullying at school. But while his Mom is strict and high-strung, Jo is fun and willing to teach him all the life skills he needs. Then one day the unthinkable happens and his Mom and Jo break up. With his Mom angry at Jo, she won't let Nicholas see her. What happens to the child when a relationship goes sour and the other parent has no legal rights? Nicholas finds out with sad results.

THIS right here is how a book is written. I'm not kidding. This was one of the best books I've read in a very long time. I need to thank Amanda for the GLBT Challenge just so I could find and read this book. The characters were amazingly written and so three-dimensional. They were so real and Nick's sorrow and confusion were exactly right. I wanted to shake his Mom because she refused to see that Jo was important to him. They decided to have a baby together and went to a sperm bank. So Mom was legally tied to him but Jo never adopted him assuming that they would always be together. But when they broke up, his bio mom wouldn't let him see his other mom which is completely insane. If you raise a kid as your own then he is yours which is one of the topics that this book addresses. It's told in "highlights" of moments that explain Nick's life with his mothers so it addresses other issues that would come from a lesbian couple raising a child together.

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have GOT to read this. I was just waiting to see your review from when you mentioned this the other day. This is such an important issue right now when gay couples can't marry and have legal rights. I need to read this soon! I hope my library has it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last night I watched an old episode of 30 Days that addressed this very subject, so it os fresh in my mind. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this sounds great!

    My name is Andrea too, I just became a follower of you blog. It looks like we have similar book interests, so if you have time I'd like for you to visit my blog:

    ireadd.blogspot.com

    I'm new to this & would love any suggestions you might have! I'm trying to get the hang of things.

    Just trying to spread the word & get some followers myself! :]

    Much thanks for your time!
    --Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea, I just finished this book and it's amazing. One of the best books I've ever read, and hands down the best GlBt book. I cried constantly for the last 100 pages. Thank you so much for introducing me to this. I have written up my review but I'm not sure yet what day I'll be posting it. I might wait until BBAW is over. I've got another review waiting from the book I finished yesterday, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda - I KNOW. I cried like crazy too. It was so sad and so good and I wanted to shake his mom. I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.