Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Raven's Gate (The Gatekeepers #1)

Matt has been a troubled boy ever since his parents died when he was eight. Now fourteen, Matt is living with his aunt and her boyfriend. When a guardsman is stabbed while Matt and his friend break into a warehouse, Matt is sent to live with Mrs. Deverill in the town of Lesser Malling. Strange and sinister things are happening and Matt is at the center of an evil plan. But he is chosen for something else too.

Honestly, I went into this book thinking that it was going to be abandoned. I don't know why. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I liked it. It was really good. Matt is so sad and mistreated and he acts out and, yes, deserves punishment but getting sent to Mrs. Deverill is too much. She is a little cliched as are all the town characters. The premise is a good one, boy is chosen to guard the world from evil and to find the other Gatekeepers. The information is a little lacking, but then this was obviously set up to be the first in a series. It's like a pilot for a TV show. You get just enough information to pull you back. I think I'm going to switch to the audio though for no real reason.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting. Don't think I could start another possible series right now, but will keep it in mind for down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the first three books a few years ago and enjoyed them, but I didn't read the fourth because by the time it was released I forgot most of the story line. I hope to re-read them and finish the series at one point but have been discouraged after recently reading Storm Breaker which seems to be Horowitz's most popular book.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.