Thursday, July 16, 2009

Lirael - The Old Kingdom series (Audio)

It's been 20 years since the events of Sabriel and the Old Kingdom has been prosperous under the rule of King Touchstone and his Queen, the Abhorsen Sabriel. Their youngest child, Sameth, is at school in Ancelstierre when he and his cricket team are attacked by the dead. Sam is suppose to be the Abhorsen-in-waiting but the attack and his subsequent fight with the necromancer Hedge has left him unwillingly to venture into death anymore. But now his good friend has enter the Old Kingdom and Sam decides to find him and lead him through the kingdom, but dark forces are now at work.

Meanwhile, Lirael has grown up with the Clayr, the Charter mages who live in the glacier and have the gift of Sight, to see into the future. Lirael is different among the Clayr and doesn't have the Sight no matter how hard she wishes. Aided by the Disreputable Dog, Lirael begins a journey that leads to her ultimate destiny.

Told in alternating voices, I really enjoyed Lirael even more than I did Sabriel. I did find it frustrating when the point of view would switch and you'd be left hanging, but that's an old trick so I forgive it. The ending has no real resolution so I have to read Abhorsen to find out what happens and get my questions answered. I want to know about the Disreputable Dog and Mogget. What are they and what is buried under the Lightning Trap? I found that the beginning before either Sam or Lirael really got going on their journey a little boring and I wanted it to move a little quicker but the set-up turned out to be necessary for later. Also there is a lot of land descriptions which I glazed over a little. But all in all an awesome book and I immediately started on the next one.

5 comments:

  1. Switching voices in a book is hard-so few authors can get it right. It sounds like an interesting read though. :) How is your everything austen challenge coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started my first book, Pride and Prejudice today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garth Nix is the best, isn't he? I've just reread Sabriel for probably the 6th time...it doesn't get old! After you read Abhorsen there's a short story in Across the Wall, and Nix is also supposed to be writing two more Old Kingdom novels in the near future. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celia - I'm glad about that. I really like these book a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the 2nd book, but no matter how often I considered it, I couldn't see Lirael nor Touchstone as likeable character but really awesome book!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.