Monday, July 27, 2009

Pride and Prejudice

Elizabeth Bennett and Fitzwilliam Darcy meet and dislike each other, then through a series of meetings realize that first impressions do not always make the kindest.

I haven't read Pride and Prejudice in a very long time so when the Everything Austen Challenge came along I decided to take advantage and do an all PandP list. Since it had been so long since I read it, it seemed only natural to start at the beginning. Oddly I found myself bored until Mr. Collins arrived (ironic). That's when the action started to pick up as much as it ever does in this book. The characters start moving locations and interacting in situations outside their normal places and then it starts to get good.

I love how natural the relationship between Elizabeth and Darcy becomes and is, frankly, the archetype for this type of relationship. If this book was published now it would totally be considered chic lit. The meet cute, the fighting and misunderstanding, the declaration of love at the end, well, actually it has been made into chic lit through the Bridget Jones character. Anyway, P&P still holds up in my esteem and it was well worth re-reading.

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, you changed your layout! Nice. I love the owl.

    I read this in January and wasn't bored at all (I usually am in places when it comes to Austen). I can't imagine rereading it any time soon, though. Especially after having done P&P&Z a couple months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm trying it out but I like the owl too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the middle or re-reading this one again as well. That cover you featured is really kind of cool. At first it looked like it was a take of P&P, so it is kind of intriguing. Thanks for sharing your review, and this cool cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to reread P&P as well! Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you still love the book, even upon a reread. I think that's a true test of a good story. Great little review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.