Thursday, January 7, 2010

Betsy-Tacy (audio)


Jacket:
Betsy hopes that whoever moves into the house across the street will have a little girl just her age. And the little girl who moves in is just her age. Her name is Tacy. She is very bashful, but she likes to listen to Betsy's stories—wonderful stories that the girls love, and that they keep as their own special secret.
After a while, it's hard to remember a time when Betsy and Tacy weren't best friends.

This was my first Besty-Tacy experience.  I never read them as a child though my sister loved them.  They are very sweet, old-fashioned stories, full of childhood delicies and innocence.  The reader, Sutton Foster, did a great job conveying the wonder that 5 years must feel at the big and small thing in life.  Betsy is a lively little girl with a great imagination while Tacy is a shy child who follows along with Betsy.  But they compliment each other very well and are very loyal to each other.  I really enjoyed this little book and I think I will continue with the series.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you liked Betsy-Tacy and definitely keep reading! The series grows along with Betsy so that the books get more complex as they go -- and the ones where she hits high school are fantastic -- there is one book for each year of high school (newly rpkgd in two 2-book volumes), plus the final two books, which cover her year of travel in pre WWI Europe and finally, her return home to get married. They're so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed your introduction to the Betsy-Tacy series! I have recommended this book often to friends, and their children. And every one of the adults says the same thing: "Why did I miss these when I was a child?"

    Be sure to let us know what you think of the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.