Monday, November 2, 2009

Beastly


The story usually starts with Beauty.  But what about the beast?  Who was he before he was cursed and why is he all alone?  In Beastly, we get the Beast's side of the story.  Kyle Kingsbury was the ultimate popular guy, but he was cruel and mean for meaness' sake.  He aborred ugly and only valued what was on the outside.  When he crosses a witch, Kyle's ugly inside is reflected on the outside and he becomes beastly.  He has one chance, however.  Find someone to love and who loves him despite his appearance and he can change back.  But who could ever love a beast?

Favorite quote:
"And every night, when I got so tired the book fell from my hand, I lay in bed, feeling her hatred like a phantom walking the night hallways.  Maybe this was a bad idea.  But what other hope did I have?"   p.176

I've check this book out before and I've had it check out a long time.  Finally I decided to just read it or return it.  I am so glad I decided to read it.  I'm a big fan of fractured fairy tales and it was cool to see how Kyle went from a horrible person with no love in his heart to a beast who finds love and the meaning of true beauty.   It wasn't a sudden change or anything and he doesn't fall in love instantly with the girl as some books have been written lately, but it is a gradual change and so refreshing.  Lindy was such a sweet girl and was perfect for Kyle as his new self.  I liked how the witch stayed in the story and gave Kyle advice and I liked the tutor, Will.   It was a very sweet book.

Beastly is being made into a movie.  The casting seems okay.  I like Alex Pettyfer for Kyle and Neil Patrick Harris for Will, but I cannot agree with Vanessa Hudgens as Lindy who is suppose to have red hair and pale skin.  She is not who I pictured at all.  And since I am a Olsen fan (not so secretly) I am very happy Mary Kate is playing Kendra, the witch.

12 comments:

  1. Love "I'm a big fan of fractured fairy tales..."

    Me too! I am just now getting into them. I'll need to stop soon so that I can get these review books completed before the end of the year. Once those are done, look out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! This one has been on my list for a while, and I'm even more excited to read it now =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I really enjoyed this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love getting the "other side" of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my favorite Beauty & the Beast retellings! I hope the movie is good, not sure about Vanessa either... Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this last summer, and I just remember wanting to like it. I agree that it was pretty sweet. For some reason, I didn't like the beast, even though he transformed through his ugly state. I suppose that we're not supposed to like the arrogant person he was before, so maybe that was the high success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds good. Did you read Wicked and its sequels? I really liked Wicked.

    I like your new look!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of this! So now I am adding it to my list! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this concept. I have never really known about books like this out there until I started visiting book blogs. These books just don't seem to get the same spotlight as the original story. I'm going to add this one to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm right there with you on 'fractured fairy tales,' but this one didn't do the trick for me. I'll definitely check out the film, though! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm taking a break from fairy tales, but I've seen so many good things about this one that I'm tempted.
    Good to know your an Olsen sister fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome review! I love the sound of this book! I had sarted to read Beauty by Robin McKinley, but I had such trouble with it. It would be awesome to read this updated version.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.