Thursday, November 19, 2009

World Religion Challenge 2010 - COMPLETE

What's that you say?  Andrea, you are signing up for so many challenges, you ask.  Frankly, I'm an addict and they are all so very cool and I like to try different things.
Anyway, Bibliofreak is hosting the World Religion Challenge 2010 and I'm joining up at the The Unshepherded Path (Also Known As: The Don't Tell Me What to Do Path): Read as many books as you would like about whatever religions you want because I'm a rebel.  I'd like to read something on what are "*technically* the only world religions, Buddhism, Christianity, and Islam" and then something else besides those.  I'll list as I go although I'm sure it will be mostly YA fiction and maybe a movie or something.
The Challenge will run from Jan 1st 2010 to Dec 31st 2010.

COMPLETED 3/27/2010

1. Buddha Boy by Kathe Koja (Buddhism)
2. Evolution, Me and Other Freaks of Nature - Robin Brande (Christianity)
3. Does My Head Look Big in This? - Randa Abdel-Fattah (Islam)
4. The Truth about My Bat Mitzvah - Nora Raleigh Baskin (Judaism) +

+ Own

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I could join this one. It might be interesting, but i get so tired quickly if I read about religion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your comment on what the 'technical' world religions a little bewildering. Are you judging it based on a religion crossing national boundaries? If so, what about, for instance, Baha'i?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason - I'm just going by what the challenge says. So that question might be better applied to J.T. at Bibliofreak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea! Welcome to the challenge!

    To answer Jason's question about the *technical* major world religions: commonly, there's thought to be five world religions: Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. However, because Hinduism and Judaism do not proselytize and while you can convert into them, they do not seek converts, some scholars maintain that there are technically only three major world religions: Buddhism, Christianity, and Islam.

    Hope that clears things up.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.