Friday, November 27, 2009

A War of Gifts: An Ender Story


A short novella from the Enderverse focuses on Dink Meeker and the small act of giving a Sinterklaas present to one of his friends.  Little does he know that this is going to incite a war among the Battle School students.  Zeke Morgan comes from a fundamentalist Christian family.  His father preaches that everyone is full of sin and that is why they cannot hear the Lord's Word.  He "purifies" Zeke, but knows nothing of Zeke's phenomental metal abilities until the Fleet come for Zeke to bring him to Battle School.  There Zeke does his best to remain a pacifist, believing that God does not glory in war.  But when Dink leaves his friend a Sinterklass present as a token of friendship, Zeke takes it upon himself to turn this simple act and turn it into something bigger.  And Dink retaliates in return.  But Ender Wiggin seeks to create an understanding in the Battle School between Dink and Zeke and the conflict they have bought to it.

One of my favorite books is Ender's Game.  And I love reading stories set in this world and getting to know more of Ender's world and his time spent in Battle School.  It's stories like this that add to the over-all story and later are alluded to in Ender in ExileA War of Gifts presents an excellent commentary on the true nature of religion and the religion that children will create around their parents and for their parents.  Zeke's struggle to become pure is interesting one since he was only taught he was impure by his father.  This leads to an incident where Ender can show what a great leader he is becoming, helping Zeke without Zeke really understand what is happening.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know about this story, thank you for sharing. I've got Ender in Exile on my TBR pile

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never read any of the Ender books prior to developing a huge hatred of Card, and since then I just can't make myself read them. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Amanda, I understand what you are saying but I can honestly say that while I don't agree with his viewpoints but that doesn't stop Ender's Game from being one of the most brilliant books ever written, in my opinion. I can't judge his books just because I don't agree with his personal convictions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I JUST read Ender's Game for the first time. It will certainly go on my list of favorite sci-fi novels - just a glorious story and concept. I'm not sure how I feel about reading the next books, though...I sort of like 'wondering' about Ender & friends' future than 'knowing.' But we'll see... :) This story does sound interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Celi.a - I would read Ender's Shadow about Bean, but the rest of the series is up to you. It's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah. I might have liked it had I not developed an intense hatred of the author first. He's the only author I've done that with too, ironically. I know some of my favorite authors were complete bastards (Nabokov, Hemingway...) but I still think their books are brilliant. But I'd been reading their books before I knew of their awfulness, and they didn't specifically touch on issues I'm touchy about, if that makes sense?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.