Friday, November 13, 2009

Wake and Fade (Wake #1 & 2)

Ever since she was eight years old, Janie has been pulled into other people's dreams.  She has no control over it and it takes a physical and mental toll on her.  Mostly she does her best to avoid sleeping people.  But one day she falls into a very disturbing dream and becomes involved with a loner boy at her school.

I actually read both books in one day.  They are fairly short and written in a choppy style in short chapters.  I really liked Wake.  It is an interesting concept, the ability to dream others' dreams, but, of course, Janie doesn't have a choice.  Anytime anyone is dreaming near her she is sucked in while her physical body becomes paralyzed.  She is a very sympathetic character with a poor homelife, but she works hard and tries her best.  I wasn't sure about Cabel at first, but his homelife is even worse and he became one of my favorites.  I liked the twist with him and the direction that the series is going in with the mysteries.

*spoilers if you haven't read Wake*
Janie is doing much better dealing with her ability to dream with other people.  She is learning to control the dreams but the physical toll is still steep.  Her relationship with Cabel is still strong.  When the police chief asks her to get involved with a possible sexual predator at school, Janie agrees despite Cabel's objections.  But soon she gets in over her head.  Meanwhile, she is also learning the consequences of her abilities and it is very bad.

I actually think I liked Fade better.  The characters are less woe and more comfortable.  And even though the mystery to be solved was gross and weird, it was a good one, adding a nice mixture of danger to the story.  Janie and Cabel are even better in Fade and I love their relationship.  They are good for each other, but I never really got their "conflict."  So I'm assuming that the next book is going to be even better and I can't wait to read it.

5 comments:

  1. I had no idea what these were about and I'm not sure if I'll like them or not. It depends on if they're just surface level or dig lower. They have great premise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are definitely gritty with the mythology well thought out. I was surprised by how NOT CW these books were, honestly (if you know what I mean).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I loved Wake! I haven't gotten to Fade, but I will soon! :) great reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed both of these books and can't wait for #3. Very well-written review!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.