Saturday, November 7, 2009

Kiss of Life (Generation Dead #2)

*spoilers if you haven't read Generation Dead*

From the book jacket:
The phenomenon that's been sweeping the country seems to be here to stay. Not only are the teenagers who have come back from their graves still here, but newlydeads are being unearthed all the time. While scientists look for answers and politicians take their stands, the undead population of Oakville have banded together in a group they're calling the Sons of Romero, hoping to find solidarity in segregation.


Phoebe Kendall may be alive, but she feels just as lost and alone as her dead friends. Just when she reconciled herself to having feelings for a zombie -- her Homecoming date Tommy Williams -- her friend Adam is murdered taking a bullet that was meant for her. Things get even more confusing when Adam comes back from the grave. Now she has romantic interest in two dead boys; one who saved her life, and one she can't seem to live without.


While I liked this book and the previous one, I won't say that I was truly wow'd by the whole thing.  It's a great idea to equate the struggles of the undead to modern day civil rights struggles to make it more timely and have a greater impact.  But I felt like I was being hit over the head with it.  Although I do appreciate that this book was much less about Phoebe and more about the actual undead teenagers.  There were several points of view explained: Phoebe, Adam, Tak and Pete and it broke up the action and gave more insight to what was happening around the story.  It's great see the motive of the "villain" of the book, but the road Pete is going down is going to end in tragedy, I can tell.  And, while I like Phoebe, it was nice to have less of her.  I think the more interesting issue is what is going to happened to the zombie kids and how far everyone is going to end up from the beginning.

2 comments:

  1. I only skimmed your review since I just got the first one in the mail. Just glad to see you enjoyed this one too. I don't expect a ton from them - just kinda a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review, I really liked Generation Dead but I actually hated this one :/

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.