Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Rapunzel's Revenge


Everyone knows the story of Rapunzel, the girl whose parents gave her away and was locked in a tower by an evil witch.  Well, what if instead of being rescued by a prince, Rapunzel gained some awesome fighting skills and saved herself.  And that's where this graphic novel gets good.  After growing her famous hair, Rapunzel rappels down the tower and almost immediately meets Jack, of the Beanstalk variety.  Determined to rescue her real mother, Rapunzel and Jack set off across the witch's land and meet a variety of people oppressed by her.  Through this adventures, they learn about the witch and decide that they must do something about her too.


Weirdly this is the first graphic novel that I've reviewed for this blog although I mostly read manga.  I liked the art in this book.  It reminds me of line art a lot.  I liked that Rapunzel was a red head and the western theme going on in the book.  Some of the adventure stop-offs felt tacked on, but they are there for a purpose and add some expedition to the story.  The ending was quick but dramatic and the very end was sweet.  I've heard there is going to be a sequel and I look forward to that.

6 comments:

  1. Western Rapunzel, with hair as whip? This looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still curious if i ought to read this. I had a bad taste in my mouth with my first Shannon Hale book, so I haven't read any others, but this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda - it was pretty good and the characters were very fun and I liked the western take on Rapunzel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, I've loved every Shannon Hale I've read, but if you started with the Actor and the Housewife (which I haven't read) you might find it's very different from her other books.

    I didn't know this one was a graphic novel. Now I REALLY want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was vaguely discussed when I went to one of her author events. It sounds cute, and I'll definitely have to check it out

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always a fan of fractured fairy tales.

    This reminds me of a graphic novel series that a friend of mine is making me read. It's called Fables, not sure if you've ever heard of it. It's a darker take on fairy tales, but it's really neat, all of the different fairy tale characters interact (and you mentioned Rapunzel & Jack's interaction, which made me think of that)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.