Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Demon's Lexicon (Demons #1)

Nick and his brother, Alan, have always been on the run with their strange, mad mother from the magicians who want something she has stolen from them.  But when Alan is marked by a demon for death, Nick will do anything to save him from the demons.  Even if it means putting up with the two teen-aged siblings that are tagging along with a similar problem.
Thursday night had been ruined, his house had been invaded, but he could be calm about this.  All he had to do was kill.  p.32
This was one of those books that I had been meaning to read for a while and never got around to it.  Finally joining the YA Book Bloggers Debut Book Battle spurned me on.  It's on of the two books I have read for judging.

I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked it.  I remarked on Twitter the other day that it felt a little "Supernatural vs. Bartimaeus" and I can still agree with that.  I think this is partially due to it being about two brothers and demons.  But some of the humor had a little Bartimeaus about it.  For example,
"It's mist.  Does mist generally strike in this house?  Is is attack mist?" p.31
which I thought so funny.  There are a lot of little moments like this in The Demon's Lexicon.  There really wasn't any lagging except what I got from Nick and it moved along at a nice pace.  I found the twist to be intriguing though not unexpected.  I look forward to the next book, The Demon's Covenant.


Read for YA Book Bloggers Debut Book Battle
Hogwarts: History of Magic
YA
Library

4 comments:

  1. This book sounds so cool! I love the show Supernaturals, those guys are just hilarious. :) I love the sound of this book, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Great to hear that there is some humor in.
    I cant wait to read it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this one lots myself, espceially the little bits of humor! And I can't wait for the new one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Nina and Charlotte - I hope you both enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book. I guess I wasn't expecting it to be FUNNY, you know? And it so was. Some of the dialogue had me giggling out loud. I can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.