Thursday, September 16, 2010

BBAW Forgotten Treasure: The Bermudez Triangle & The Dust of 100 Dogs

Today's BBAW post is about a book that I feel should get more attention.  I had to think about this long and hard because there are many many books that I feel are worthy of Hunger Games like attention.  So in the end, I'm picking two because I just couldn't decide.






The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson
I love Maureen Johnson and her books.  The first book I read by her was 13 Little Blue Envelopes which I loved so much that I had to read the rest of her books.  And so I began picking them up one by one.  They are all pretty great but the one that made the biggest impression was The Bermudez Triangle.  I think it is safe to say it was the first YA book I'd read that dealt with GLBT issues and I found it to be very well done and very realistic.  I liked the dynamic between the girls and how the one who was left out's feelings were not glossed over or made petty.  And how the girls managed to survive what could have been the end of their friendship.  It is a funny and insightful book and I highly recommend it, especially for someone's first foray into GLBT fiction.

The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King
I read this about a year ago and it had stuck with me ever since.  It truly was one of the best books I read last year.  I think it was the pirates.  I loved Emer and how she went from being a sweet girl to a ruthless pirate.  I loved the whole incarnation idea and the sections about Emer's lives as different dogs.  I loved Saffron and how she has these insane memories of being the pirate Emer and her quest to find Emer's buried treasure  Even the cover is awesome.  All the elements of this book added up to winner.

7 comments:

  1. I really loved Bermudez Triangle. It was the second Johnson book I read and one of the first GLBT books I read. It is fantastic! I am actually giving it away on my blog because as much as I love it, I think I need to share it with someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! I mentioned THE DUST OF 100 DOGS too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read The Bermudez Triangle earlier this year and I enjoyed it. It is an important book to get more awareness around. It covered some very important topics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Johnson, but I'll definitely try The Bermudez Triangle if I want to read another! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only Maureen Johnson that I've read was Suite Scarlett but I'm curious about her other books! I hope I get to read them soon.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.