Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Wake of the Lorelei Lee: Being an Account of the Adventures of Jacky Faber, on her Way to Botany Bay by L.A. Meyer

Jacky is bound for the penal colony of New South Wales as punishment for her crimes against the crown.  To add insult to injury, the government confiscates her newly bound Lorelei Lee and puts her and the other female convicts aboard for the trip.  But Jacky's friends come through for her as Higgins finds a way on broad along with some old faces.

Well, this was full of adventure!  Jacky is sentence to life in New South Wales, finds herself on her own ship, is threatened by the first mate multiple times, marries Higgins, finds and loses Jamie, ends with as the "pet" of a Chinese female pirate, finds Jamie again and reclaims her ship.  Phew.  That's a lot for one 16 year old girl.  And as much as I enjoy Jacky's adventure, they are beginning to lose their what little credibility they had in the first place.  Oh well.  They are fun books and explore their historical nature to the fullest which is a fun way to learn about these things.  I really liked Jamie's chapters.  The boy is coming along nicely but I do feel sorry for him.  All of these terrible things happen to him and he does some questionable things in return and all because of his relationship with Jacky.  I hope that works out in their favor.  And I hope Jamie can hold on to his sanity in the meanwhile.


Katharine Kellgren does a wonderful job yet again.  I love her singing voice and I love her voice for the Shanty Man.  She is so versatile!  And she does a great job with the dialects and the languages which must be hard to do.  

Bloody Jack
Whisper in My Ear

1 comment:

  1. I recently discovered KK and I love her voice. I look forward to trying this.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.