Friday, February 19, 2010

A Little Princess (eBook/Movie)

Sweet, rich Sara Crew is sent to boarding school by her father.  When he dies and loses their fortune, she is made to be a servant by the headmistress of the boarding school.  But Sara combats the drudgery and hunger of this new life with her imagination.

While I've read The Secret Garden many time, I've never read A Little Princess before.  I'm not sure why except maybe I never liked it when Sara loses her fortune and everyone is really mean to her.  She is an expectational sweet child, very modest and good and wonderful.  She has a wonderful imagination and I liked that part of the story.  It is so horrible how Miss Minchin treats her and Becky, the scullery maid and Sara puts up with it wonderfully.  She is, admittedly, a little too nice and sometimes I wanted her to lose her temper, but I suppose that would negate the point of the story which is be nice and wonderful things will happen, I guess.

While I had never read the book before, I have seen the Shirley Temple movie many times.  It isn't nearly as sad as the book.  Sara's father is listed as dead in the Boer War and so she is made a servant and she is suppose to be tired and hungry and dirty, but she doesn't look it.  The whole book only happens over a year and Sara is 10 at the end of the movie.  There is a subplot with two of the teachers falling in love and then the man goes away to the war, but for some reason they don't tell that they got married before and that causes problems.  The man next door does help her out and give her nice things but they never explain why.  Shirley Temple is delightful and since she is in this movie there is are two musical numbers, one to cheer up soldiers and one in a fantasy sequence.  She was awfully cute.  And there is a happy ending, after all because what kind of Shirley Temple movie would it be without a very happy ending.

7 comments:

  1. I have LOVED this book with passion since the 4th grade...can't stand the Shirley Temple version...you need to see the one that came out in the 90's--its AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recently I decided I just wasn't into trying to read more Burnett after The Secret Garden, so I gave away my copy of The LIttle Princess. I think I should have read her when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I havent read the book either, but have seen the movie. I loved the movie, I adored it. Great review, it really makes me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frankie - I saw it when it came out, but it's been a long time.

    Amanda - Can't say I blame you. A Little Princess lacks that something made me love A Secret Garden, but I think I would have been better served reading it when I was younger.

    Nina - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I haven't read this one or seen the movie. I wonder if my daughter would appreciate either one of them! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book as a child. Have you seen the movie remake? It came out years ago. I still have my original copy on VHS. The movie is so beautiful and well-made. For me, it is even better than the Shirley Temple version. The scenes of Rama and Sita are gorgeous and the little girl who plays Sara was ethereal and brought a depth to the character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie - You're welcome. I hope she likes them.

    Jehara - I don't think I've seen the version you are talking about, but I will see it one of these days. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.