Friday, July 17, 2009

From the Library 7/17

Mostly I checked out books for challenges this week. I've been reading a lot and trying to get through my huge TBR list. I decided I needed to start with the Austen book of Pride and Prejudice before I read any adaptations or saw any based on movies.


Wake - Lisa McMann (I have the sequel, Fade, at home right now. I just have to get around to this one.)
Ever since she was eight years old, high school student Janie Hannagan has been uncontrollably drawn into other people's dreams, but it is not until she befriends an elderly nursing home patient and becomes involved with an enigmatic fellow-student that she discovers her true power.










Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen (Checked out for the Everything Austen Challenge. I was surprised I didn't own a copy.)

In early nineteenth-century England, a spirited young woman copes with the suit of a snobbish gentleman as well as the romantic entanglements of her four sisters.

This is the most simplified description I could find. Most of them are long and go into so much detail.






Bride & Prejudice - Gurinder Chadha, Director (Normally I wouldn't mention a movie but this is also for the Everything Austen Challenge. I should buy this movie, I've check it out so much.)

Aishwarya Rai, Martin Henderson and Anupam Kher star in this joyous musical about the Bakhsi family, who's celebrating the arrival of a British-born man, Mr. Balraj, who may be perfect husband material for one the Bakhsis' four unmarried daughters -- Maya, Lucky, Jaya and, most especially, their eldest, Lalita (Rai). But Lalita refuses to marry someone handpicked for her, believing instead in true love, which just may be waiting in the wings.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of that particular movie adaptation. It sounds pretty good! I hope you'll let us know if you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the Bollywood version of Pride and Prejudice. It's really good if you like that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.