Friday, December 24, 2010

Miracle on 34th Street by Valentine Davies + 1955 television special

If you searched every old folks’ home in the country, you couldn’t find anyone who looked more like Santa Claus.  He was the living, breathing incarnation of the old gent - white beard, pink cheeks, fat tummy and all - and his name was Kris Kringle, too.  p.3 
I didn't realize there was a book of the movie, Miracle on 34th Street.  But this is the novelization of the classic 1947 movie.  It was a thoroughly enjoyable little book, very much a novelization of the movie.  I haven't actually seen the original movie a whole lot maybe once or twice so this book held a few surprises for me and it was a great way to get into the Christmas spirit.  I'd recommend it to anyone who loves the movie and even to people who have never seen the movie but love a good holiday story.

I also watched the 1955 one hour television special which I had never seen.  It was pretty good though it skipped quite a few details being only an hour.  Kris was never shown taking over the job from the drunken Santa, he just answered an ad.   And there were a few other scenes that were skipped over.  But it was still the same sweet story and I liked it.  The actors were good but I still prefer the actors from the original movie.

1 comment:

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.