Saturday, October 10, 2009

From the Library 10/10

From the Library is my Saturday listing of what I checked out from the library this week.
 Only two this week which is good since I have a lot checked out.


Mister Monday (audio) - Garth Nix, read by Alan Corduner
(I've read this before, but I want to do a re-read or, in this case, a listen to the entire series before Lord Sunday comes out. (also for my Garth Nix challenge)) Arthur Penhaligon's school year is not off to a good start. On his first day, he suffers an asthma attack while running cross country and dreams that a mysterious figure hands him a key shaped like the minute hand of a clock. However, when he wakes up, he still has the key. That's when strange things begin to happen. Mister Monday dispatches terrifying, dog-faced Fetchers to retrieve it, a bizarre sleeping illness sweeps the city, and only Arthur can see the weird new house that appears in his neighborhood. The seventh grader knows it all has something to do with the key, one of seven elusive fragments of the Will to which he has become heir apparent, and a mysterious atlas. When he ventures inside the house, he meets more strange characters than he could have imagined, none of whom are what they seem. And, of course, he must battle Monday, who will do anything to get the key back. With the help of the key, Arthur must fight his way out.

Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace
(I've never read a Betsy-Tacy book even though my sister used to love them and read them all the time.  But lately I've seen some reviewed so I thought I'd try a childhood classic I haven't read)
Best Friends Forever:
There are lots of children on Hill Street, but no little girls Betsy's age. So when a new family moves into the house across the street, Betsy hopes they will have a little girl she can play with. Sure enough, they do--a little girl named Tacy. And from the moment they meet at Betsy's fifth birthday party, Betsy and Tacy become such good friends that everyone starts to think of them as one person--Betsy-Tacy.
Betsy and Tacy have lots of fun together. They make a playhouse from a piano box, have a sand store, and dress up and go calling. And one day, they come home to a wonderful surprise--a new friend named Tib.
Ever since their first publication in the 1940's, the Betsy-Tacy stories have been loved by each generation of young readers.

1 comment:

  1. Mister Monday! Is. Awesome. I need to do those re-reads, too... :) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.