Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

The time travel gene runs in Gwyneth's family and is supposedly going to affect her cousin, Charlotte.  But Gwen is the one who begins spontaneously traveling in time.  Paired up with Gideon, Gwen is introduced into the mysteries of the society who takes control of the time travels.  The two of them are sent on a simple mission that soon turns dangerous. 
I hated myself for admiring how cool she was right now.  To me, the idea of suddenly landing in the past was totally terrifying.  p.19
I love time travel and so this book was right up my alley.  The idea of a person being able to time travel on their own is pretty awesome.  Gwyneth is not expected to be the time travel in the family because of a deception on her mother's part so she is unprepared when it happens to her.  I think her reactions are pretty spot-on for having no idea what to do when she lands in a different time period.  Gwen is a pretty cool girl and I was cheering for her from the beginning.  I didn't like how most of the adults and her cousin treated her and, even though Gideon is the love interest, he rubbed me wrong at first too.  But Gwen actually has some backbone and does her best in every situation.  I was really hoping that the other two books had been translated from German into English already but the next book, Sapphire Blue, doesn't come out till the spring of next year.  Sadness.  I can't wait to read more about Gwen and Gideon and their mission and see if Gwen will finally tell everyone how she can see ghosts.  Love this book doubly since it reminded me (for some reason) of Connie Willis' To Say Nothing of the Dog, one of my favorite time travel books. 

Sent by the publisher for review
Publisher:  Henry Holt and Co
Publish date: 5/10/11
ISBN: 9780805092523

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.