Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sleeping in Flame by Jonathan Carroll

Walker lives in Vienna and falls in love with a beautiful girl.  But, slowly, mysterious things are happening to him and he is remembering incidents from past lives.  How does this related to the mysterious Papa and what will happen to Walker's girlfriend as someone seeks to destroy Walker and his life? 
"Loving someone brings you peace."
"Nope.  It makes life interesting and alive, but it doesn't bring much peace."
p.96
Walker begins to develop some new magical powers - clairvonce and phoetic dreams and the like and he doesn't know what to do.  As he dreams of old lives, he starts to wonder at who he really is and he starts on a trek with a shaman to find out more.  But tragedy strikes whenever Walker looks for answers, but when he finally figures out what is going on, then the story takes on an interesting fairy tale aspect.  

Written in 1988, this was one of my favorite books though it's been 14 years since I last read it.  It is a bit dated as some of the references to computers and technology are laughable now.   But that is a sign of the era in which it was written.   I still love this book.  It is so beautiful.  The questions Walker and his girlfriend, Maris, ask each other and the philosophy intoned in each page.  Lovely.  It's written as a narrative so it's like Walker is speaking right to you. Sleeping in Flames is a Rumpelstiltskin re-telling and it is definitely an adult book.  I see more in it now than I did when I was younger.  Of the things that the Rumpelstiltskin character addresses and the solution that Walker comes up with.  The how and the why and the who are so much more beautiful and sad.

Hogwarts: Transfiguration
Library

4 comments:

  1. Great review. I havent heard of this book before, and it sounds really nice. I love Vienna, my sister went last year and she took some amazing pictures. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Nina - Thanks! It is an older book, that might be why you never heard of it.

    @Juju - One of my favorites, though it is a very quotable book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I haven't heard about this one until now, so I'm adding it now on my reading list :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.