Sunday, August 1, 2010

Once Upon a Week (II): Why I love fractured fairy tales

Vanessa at Today's Adventure is once again hosting Once Upon a Week, a whole week of fairy tale related books.  This is one of my favorite genres so I'm participating again.  Throughout the week there will many reviews on fairy tale books so check out her blog for those.

I have always loved fairy tales.  I'm not sure if it is just the "Disney Culture" in me or what, but there is something about them.  I discovered the original, darker and much more grittier tales when I was a teenager and the lead to the discovery of the fractured fairy tale anthologies edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling, such as Snow White, Blood Red.  I read as many of these as I could, captivated how such familiar tales could be reworked in so many different ways by so many different authors.  This further lead to the discovery of some of my now-favorite authors, Charles De Lint and Tanith Lee, among others.  I credit these short story collections with adding to my love of fairy tales and with introducing me to some really fabulous authors.  Without them, I might not have read Ash by Malinda Lo or the Princess novels by Jim C. Hines and I would have missed on some wonderful stories and authors.  There is something exciting to me about reading a familiar reworked into something that is the same yet different, the familiar with the new and tanalizing added.  It's just why I love them.

5 comments:

  1. I've never been big on fairy tales, but I have to say I love the button for this week. It reminds me of Memory's old blog design, since she had that woman running down the stairs in the header. I don't think she has that there anymore...I'll have to go check.

    I do like the original fairy tales more than the happier, kid-friendly versions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with you on loving fairy tales. I recently discovered Alex Flinn and have enjoyed both her retellings Beastly and A Kiss in Time. I really want to read Ash as it sound fantastic.

    I also love doing a fairy tale unit every year with my eighth grade students and am hoping to expand it to include reading some YA retellings and writing their own retellings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on loving re-told fairy tales. I am constantly amazed by how people can re-imagine a familiar story in so many different and unique ways. Human creativity is wonderful. I'll definitely be taking part in this (if I can find the time!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to try the grittier versions :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Amanda - Juju from Tales of Whimsy made the button. It is very pretty.

    @Jan - I haven't read A Kiss in Time. I will have to check it out.

    @Celi.a - That's great!

    @Juju - You really should.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.