Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

From Goodreads:
What if love refused to die?

Haven Moore can’t control her visions of a past with a boy called Ethan, and a life in New York that ended in fiery tragedy. In our present, she designs beautiful dresses for her classmates with her best friend Beau. Dressmaking keeps her sane, since she lives with her widowed and heartbroken mother in her tyrannical grandmother’s house in Snope City, a tiny town in Tennessee. Then an impossible group of coincidences conspire to force her to flee to New York, to discover who she is, and who she was.

In New York, Haven meets Iain Morrow and is swept into an epic love affair that feels both deeply fated and terribly dangerous. Iain is suspected of murdering a rock star and Haven wonders, could he have murdered her in a past life? She visits the Ouroboros Society and discovers a murky world of reincarnation that stretches across millennia. Haven must discover the secrets hidden in her past lives, and loves¸ before all is lost and the cycle begins again.

The very first night she heard her parents arguing, she had whispered one last goodbye to Ethan and then set to locking him out of her head.  p.24 ARC

If this isn't the best book I've read this year, then it is at least one of them.  While I'm not a believer of soul mates and destiny, this book made me want to believe and I love the idea that people will be drawn to each other in every life that they live.  I was really struck by the idea of the Ouroboros Society and how people can remember past lives and even bring skills over from them.

The mystery surrounding Haven and Iain was a good one and I liked the tension Miller built into the book surrounding the two of them and the Ouroboros Society.  Haven was a good strong character though I did have one problem with her that I will discuss in the spoilers section that was resolved nicely.  It was more my impatience to find out the truth than a fault of the book itself.  This book is definitely the must read of the year.


*(highlight for) SPOILERS*
Haven and Iain are so sweet and I was rooting for them throughout the book.  I was really intrigued by the idea of the Ouroboros Society and how people can remember past lives and even bring skills over from them.  I love that Iain always remembered Haven in every life and looked for her.
Throughout the book, I kept thinking that Haven was really wishy-washy and, frankly, stupid because she would be with Iain and everything would be fine and then she would go out without him and immediately begin doubting him.  I'm pretty sure this was the influence of Rosier who I wish had been explained more.  I guess that is the point of his nature, but he was the one true immortal in this story, the one who never changed or aged or died and I wanted to know more about that.  Was he really the devil or an agent of the devil or chaos embodied?  I didn't expect his character to turn out like that and I really enjoyed the idea of it.*END*

Provided by Traveling ARC Tours
Publish Date August 24, 2010
Hogwarts: Arithmancy
YA

6 comments:

  1. I so want to read this one, and based on your review, I am even more excited about it. High praise, great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting for your review since you suggested the book to me on goodreads! Sounds like a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this! It sounds great :) Awesome review

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS
    I finally added your button to the bottom of my page :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jan - Thanks! I hope you like it.

    @Amanda - I loved the story. It sounds like something you would like.

    @Juju - Thanks and thanks for putting my button up.

    @Miss Cindy - It's a great book. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.