Wednesday, June 9, 2010

This World We Live In (The Last Survivors 3)

Miranda and her family are making it through the climate changes and other changes that the Earth is going through after an asteroid hits the moon, knocking it closer to the Earth.  After surviving a harsh winter, they are still managing.  But her father arrives with his wife and new baby and three other strangers in tow, things get a little harder.  And harder still as Miranda and Alex begin to fall in love.
It was filthy.  I don't know why that surprised me, since we scrub frantically to keep the soot manageable and there was no one at the library to do that.  But there was something about the library being so cold, dark, and dirty that broke my heart.  p.198
Nothing like these books to make you want to take stock of the pantry and buy some more water.  Because Life As Knew It and The Dead and the Gone were brutal.  This World We Live In was less so and that was almost a relief.  This was a good ending for this series though I didn't find it as affecting as the first or even the second one.  The maturity that Miranda seemed to have gained in the first book is taken back a little as she still whines and fights a lot though not to the degree she did before.  I started to question the ability of Miranda and Alex and her brothers to fall in love so quickly but then I realized that in extreme circumstances that this would have happened.  Alex was never my favorite character but it was interesting to see him on the outside of the situation rather than close up like in The Dead and the Gone.  He was still not my favorite character though the two of them are a good match.  I was surprised at the new characters and I wanted to hit Matt for being foolish and a jackass.  Miranda's mom seemed to be less of an influence and I think that was done on purpose.  Overall it wasn't as powerful a book but it was an appropriate and right ending for the series.

Hogwarts: Astronomy
Dystopian
YA
Library

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I've often wondered about this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish I liked this series better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is on my summer reading list. I've heard it's good, but not as harsh etc as the first two. It wraps up the series but it's not wow amazing. I think that's ok with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this series. Looks good, need to check out the first one!

    I hope you enjoy Android Karenina!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Juju - It's a great series.

    @Amanda - Can't like them all

    @Jill - I really like it. The ending was right even without the wow factor.

    @Gofita - I would recommend it. And thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I see that you signed up for my Nancy Holder giveaway that I am having on my blog. For the books Possessions and The Evil Within. The contest ends Friday but since Nancy's book The Evil Within is being released tomorrow I am holding a Nancy Holder day on my blog. All day long you will be able to gain extra entries into the contest. So I am going around to everyones blog who signed up and letting them know. Hope to see you tomorrow.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a series I haven't heard of, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I read it and completely agree with your review. This one affected me less, and Miranda was lacking a bit of maturity, but in the end it's a satisfying conclusion I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Trisha - Thanks for letting me know!

    @Felicia - Thanks.

    @kay - It was a great series overall, this one was just not as emotional.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.