Thursday, April 15, 2010

Bones of Faerie

Dystopian fairy fiction.  How often do I get to write those words?  Never up till now. So the concept was surprising because I don't think I realized what Bones of Faerie was actually about until I started reading.
Even after the War ended and the faerie folk left this world, the magic they'd set loose lingered, killing still. p.5
Liza lives in a world after the war with the Faerie folk has ended.  In her unhappy town, the rule is to Cast out the magic born among you.  So when her sister is born with pale hair and silver eyes, her cruel father sets her on hilltop to either be collected by the Faerie or die.  Liza cannot save her sister, but she discovers that magic is growing in herself, she makes the choice to run away.

This world that Simner crated is very interested.  In the War, the faeries fought with magic, making the trees come alive to kill, creating magical burning rocks and turning the earth against the humans.  Now the trees and plants crave blood and the corn refuses to be harvested, resulting in a battle that often leaves bruises.  Liza's father has the whole town scared of magic and the magic born that they are willingly to do anything to get rid of it.  But she runs away when her own magic abilities become apparent and discovers a different way of life.

If I had to pick any problem with this book, it would be that it was too short.  I wanted to know more about the War and why it had started.  I wanted to know more about Liza's mother and the other town.  But it was written in first person and so I can't know more than Liza and that is a little frustrating.

But it was an intriguing book and I loved the idea of it.  I thought it was well executed and very interesting, just too short.  It was a very quick read in any case.

Hogwarts: Care of Magical Creatures
Dystopian
Library
YA

10 comments:

  1. I think a lot of times these books are too short and/or don't give enough depth/background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is another book I'd like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Amanda
    I think some of it has to do with the limitations of the POV. But it still needed more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought this one for my classroom library. I thought it sounded interesting. I think some girl snatched it up right away :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill - Ha, I hope she likes it. It's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suspected magic was banned when I saw your teaser for this. This sounds quite good, and quite fast- I think I'll pick it up next time I need a dystopia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clare- It's a quick read. I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this waiting on the shelf to read, so glad to hear it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Carrie - It really was very good.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.