Saturday, December 12, 2009

Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins


Barnes and Noble description:
Can Hershel really rid the village synagogue of goblins? He successfully uses his wits to oust the eight creatures haunting the old synagogue and who are preventing the villagers from celebrating Hanukkah. Kimmel provides a humorous, entertaining and just slightly scary story for all young readers. Hyman's illustrations emphasize all of the tension with dark scenes of the goblins and their attempts to frighten Hershel. A Caldecott Honor Book.

This was a very entertaining book as over eight nights Hershel figures out how to outwit a new goblin each night.  On the eighth night, he must make the King of the Goblins light the Hanukkah candles himself.  But Hershel is a very clever man and has something new every night.

I really liked it.  I checked it out thinking I would read it to my 3 year old but he didn't want to sit for it.  I think it was too long for him.  But I liked it and thought it was very cute and clever.  The illustrations are great and I can see why it is a Caldecott Honor book.  I haven't read much on Hanukkah to be honest, but this had some of the Hanukkah traditions throughout and a longer explanation in the back.  I will have to read it to the boy when he is older to make sure he is introduced to other holidays and traditions other than our own.

Today is the first day of Hanukkah and I'd like to say Happy Hanukkah to my readers who celebrate that holiday.

1 comment:

  1. I run a children's library for a synagogue and this is THE book! Every kid of every age (4 and up) LOVES this book. I read it every year sometimes multiple times and they never get sick of it. SOmetimes they want it when it's not even close to Hanukkah. Glad you enjoyed and Happy Hanukkah to you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.