Thursday, September 24, 2009

Alice in Wonderland (Disney 1951) (Based on a Book)



One of my favorite movies growing up, I was happy to revisit Alice in Wonderland for the challenge.  It has held up pretty well.  The songs are lively and it still makes me sad when Alice cries in the forest.  Not a true adaption of Alice in Wonderland, but a combination of elements from both Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass

*just in case highlight white areas for spoilers

Alice is bored with her tutor and decides that a world of nonsense would be fun.  When she sees the White Rabbit, she follows him and falls down a rabbit hole.  There she encounters the locked door, a cake labeled "Eat Me," and a big problem.  After drinking she grows to a large size and cannot fit through the door. So she cries huge tears and then spies a bottle labeled "Drink Me" and she shrinks right into the bottle!  Alice is carried away through the doorknob and meets many crazy creatures including Tweedledum and Tweedledee, the Mad Hatter and March Hare, the Cheshire Cat (my favorite), and the Queen of Hearts.  After almost losing her head to the Queen of Hearts, Alice is awoken by her tutor and goes off to have tea.

Actually a good portion of the movie is from Through the Looking Glass, but Disney picked the parts that are least terrifying.  There's no Jabberwocky in this movie, though the Cheshire Cat sings the Jabberwocky poem.  My favorite parts are the flower garden and the Walrus and the Carpenter.  I always like the white rose since she is so beautiful and I felt sorry for the little oysters even though they are stupid.  So it was nice revisiting Disney's Alice in Wonderland.  I watched it with my little boy, but he was bored by most of it so it's not quite up to 2 year old standards. Maybe one day...

*cross posted with Annie, I think

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you're coming along great in this challenge! =)

    For some reason my google reader is showing a post you did of the live action one but your actual blog isn't showing me. Anyway, I was going to say I didn't realize Kate Beckinsale had done a movie like that! Sounds interesting... there are so many related books and movies that I feel like I need to read, even though the challenge only calls for one of each, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that wasn't suppose to publish until tomorrow, but I must have scheduled wrong or something. You should watch it. It is crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh did you have to go in and change the date? I hope they don't automatically show up on google reader anyway... I have had a few posts I've scheduled ahead of time. No one said anything so I'm assuming they didn't show up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries, they only show up if they actually get published. I just had to put in back to the right date.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.