Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Secret Kingdom by Jenny Nimmo (Chronicles of the Red King #1) (audio)

A prequel of sorts to the Children of the Red King series featuring Charlie Bone, this series explores the mysterious Red King, Timoken, and his adventures that lead to the story we later see in the Charlie Bone books.

Timoken and his sister, Zobayda, under the protection of a forest jinni but pursued by evil viridees, straddle the world of men and the world of enchantments, seeking a home while remaining young by drinking a potion called Alixir.

 You know, I enjoyed the Charlie Bone books though I never did finish the series. I plan to though. I think I'm going to finish out the Chronicles of the Red King series and then go back to Charlie Bone from the beginning. I've forgotten quite a bit of the lore and history from those books so it's like I'm learning it all over again. I think this will make the Charlie Bone books pretty fun. But I also think that is what made this book a little bit boring for me because I'm suppose to know some back story of all this all ends. Still I enjoyed the beginnings of Timoken's life and hearing how it all started. I am also glad that the majority of the 200 years covered wasn't spelled out in great detail though I do wonder how he didn't get bored being alone for quite a few of those years with only his camel for company. But I guess that is not the point of the story. The point was to get Timoken to Britain with his friends. So goal achieved and now we know where and how he meet them and how he ended up in Britain from Africa and what the deal with the Red Cloak is. So onwards to the next book to see what happens next.

5 hours, 43 minutes

John Keating is the narrator and, while he did a fine job, he isn't my favorite narrator. Something about his tone, I'm not sure, what but he didn't draw me in as some narrators do.

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear you're still liking the series, and I like the creativity here with both King and kingdom for the challenge. Well done, again, on What's In A Name :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.