Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two by Catherynne M. Valente (Fairyland #3) (audio)

September finds herself back in Fairyland, of sorts. She has landed on the moon and there finds her faithful friends, A-L and Saturday and learns that she must save the moon from a Yeti.

“There is no such thing as a people who are all wicked or even all good. Everyone chooses. But even they, even they looked at people and saw only tools. No one is a cup for another to drink from.” 
How beautifully written are these books? So lovely and musical and lyrical.  And infinitely quotable. There are so many passages that I wanted to mark and highlight but you can't really do that with an audio book. I'm going to have to buy them just for that purpose. Though I will admit that there were a few times I felt like the characters said 100 words when 10 would do.

I was happy to have the real A-L and Saturday and not just their shadows like in the last book. It was nice to have the gang all back together. It's once again a simple quest story with September encountering all manner of quirky and outlandish characters. The moon was an interesting setting and I wonder where there is to go next especially with it ending as it does.


Catherynne Valente narrates this one as she did the first. Her narration is growing on me though it is still not as good as a professional like the last book.  I think it's her voice for September. There is something about it almost like a whine that I don't like. Still she is getting better.

8 hours, 23 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I used to write quotes down when listening but I don't recommend it, it takes too long! Well done on What's In A Name.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.