Friday, August 30, 2013

She Stoops to Conquer by Oliver Goldsmith (audio)

This is a play and I rarely listen to plays on audio. So it took a few adjustments on my part but I really liked this. It's kind of a manor house comedy of errors, taking place in one night at Mr. Hardcastle's house, a wealthy gentleman. His daughter, Kate, is being set up with his friend's son, Marlow, who is arriving that night to meet her with his friend Hastings. But the man's stepson, Tony, pulls a prank on the arriving gentleman and tells him the house is an inn. So Marlow is seemingly impediment to Mr. Marlow thinking him an inn keeper. At the same time Marlow is bashful around women of social standing while being brazen with working women so Kate pretends to be a barmaid to get to know him. There is also a subplot involving Hastings and the niece of the family who want to run off together. It's pretty funny. I like comedies likes this and it reminded me of Wodehouse though this play came before him.

 This play is read by a full cast, of course but features some notable actors in Joanne Whalley, James Marsters and Ian Ogilvy.  It was very well acted and I enjoyed listening to it.

1 hours, 52 minutes.

1 comment:

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.