Wednesday, June 5, 2013

"Who Could That Be At This Hour?" by Lemony Snicket (All the Wrong Questions #1) (audio)

When Lemony Snicket was a boy he began an apprenticeship with a chaperone. The first assignment of that apprenticeship takes them to Stain'd-by-the-Sea to find a missing statue. But  Lemony quickly learns that asking all the wrong questions will get you nowhere when one right one is all you need.

I'm not sure what I was expecting. More of A Series of Unfortunate Events type stuff? Maybe. And this certainly follows in that vein. I guess this is the precursor to that series. More on the mysterious Lemony Snicket who, I was jarringly reminded, is actually a fictional character in his own right. A few characters from ASoUE appear, a detail I appreciated. I wonder if the Bauderlaire parents will appear.

Anyway, Lemony takes an apprenticeship which I guess consists of solving mysteries with a chaperone (mentor). His chaperone is certainly a character and not the most effectual one. But she is suppose to be a means to an end. Instead though she brings him to Stain'd-by-the-Sea where they are suppose to find a statue that was stolen. But instead of asking whether something can be stolen that didn't belong to the person in the first place, he asks all the wrong questions and is lead on a crazy quest around town, meeting the types of characters you'd expect to find in a Lemony Snicket book. And like ASoUE this is a dense book in that a lot of things are happening and most of it is not explained. But if you are a Lemony Snicket fan you will be expecting that.



Liam Aiken is the narrator and to be honest I wasn't really feeling his reading. He has a nice voice and is a good narrator but I don't know how I feel about him as Lemony Snicket. He does sound like Daniel Handler so maybe that has something to do with it. 

3 hours, 43 minutes

1 comment:

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.